Friday, November 9, 2007
Organic Lawn Care Part of LEED Certification?
I have very recently caught wind that an organization, SafeLawns.org is working with the USGBC to encoroporate their organic (pesticide free) lawn care methods into the LEED System. Very recently SafeLawns.org was successful in using their system on a small plot of the National Mall in Washington, DC. I think the incoroporation of a pesticide free lawn maintenence system into the LEED certification program makes a lot of sense. First of all, regardless of what the EPA says, pesticides are dangerous and pollutants. Second of all, at schools it should be essential that the greening done inside is mirrored outside because children can be harmed from pesticides rolling around in the grass during recess and not just from poor air quality during class. I'm going to keep my ear to the pavement on this one and see what I can learn, also... I might soon have the opportunity to work on this project and some other very interesting renewable building technologies and I will keep you up to date if and when I do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment